Higgins (part of the Fletcher Building Group) is a leading roading and civil infrastructure company in New Zealand. Many people have built great careers with Higgins over the last 60 years. As a member of the Higgins Green Team that opportunity is open to you as we work, grow and have fun together building tomorrows New Zealand.
We are looking for an Assistant Accountant to support our Branch Finance Manager at our Christchurch and Nelson Branch. You will be motivated, have a positive working attitude and keen to develop new skills. You should have a modern approach to accounting, be ideally advanced or very proficient with Microsoft Office particularly Excel, and comfortable with new technology and computer systems.
As an assistant accountant, you will be assisting the Branch Finance Manager in managing and completing the financial and commercial reporting including budgeting, forecasting and daily/weekly/monthly financial reporting. This also includes working with Project Managers to ensure contractual claims, earned value, cost forecasting and reporting is completed.
You will have experience in providing financial and commercial support and training to operational and administrative staff and management. Using your key communication skills, you will need to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders including local partners, customers and suppliers.
Being tech-savvy and having experience with current IT systems will be advantageous as you will be assisting the Branch Finance Manager with Branch systems, infrastructure, IT and communications. Experience in the civil sector or equivalent is desirable but not necessary as you may presently be in public practice and wanting that first entry into the commercial world.
Skills and Attributes:
• Tertiary qualification in accounting with 3 years post degree practical accounting experience
• Ideally Chartered Accountant (or equivalent) or at least working towards this
• High attention to detail
• Highly organised, ability to prioritise
• Skilled in using Excel
• Excellent communication skills
• Prepared to fly between Christchurch and Nelson
• Competitive remuneration package
• On-going training and development
• Opportunity to be a part of a growing New Zealand business
• Fletchers Benefits Programme, including discounted health insurance, family scholarships & share schemes.
How to apply
Ready for the challenge and to align your goals with ours? If so, we would love to hear from you! Please apply directly online.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in New Zealand