Help us build New Zealand! PlaceMakers is New Zealand's leading and largest supplier of building materials to New Zealand’s commercial and residential construction markets. Part of New Zealand’s largest listed company, Fletcher Building, we employ more than 2,100 people in over 60 locations across the country and stock more than 100,000 product lines from concrete to paint and plasterboard.
About 18 months ago we began the transformation initiative of creating a centralised Delivery Services team in order to take full control of all deliveries run from our branch network to our customers all over the country. This has been a significant change process however the change has gone well and now it is time to go up another gear!
As a result we have created the new role of National Transport Manager who will report to the Supply Chain Manager. The purpose of the role is to lead PlaceMakers’ national outbound transport operation to deliver exceptional customer service in alignment with the Company’s growth and profitability objectives.
You will have 4 Delivery Services Managers reporting to you, one in Auckland, Hamilton, Wellington and Christchurch. Indirectly you will have a team of 75 based across NZ when we include our drivers and this team is continuing to grow.
We will be looking for you to take what we have already started and to raise the bar again.
To do this, we will be looking to you to:
- Create a framework that ensures all relevant metrics are achieved and that we are always on the hunt continuous improvement opportunities.
- Ensure that the entire team across the country is clear on the vision and the plan and fully engaged with the role they play.
- Ingrain safety into the DNA of how we work - you will need to be someone with a value system and the experience required to ensure we keep our people and our customers safe.
- Manage all regional transport teams’ operational requirements, commercial performance, and relationships with both PlaceMakers Fleet and any 3rd party providers.
What will we be looking for in the successful candidate?
- Needless to say leadership skills and large scale experience in relation to transport management will be key areas of expertise we will be looking for.
- This role will involve a lot of stake-holder management and you will need to be someone with serious capability in this space. We are after someone who is able to adjust at all levels – providing a team briefing to a group of drivers in the morning and delivering a strategy update to the SLT later in the day is just an example of what may be required of you.
- Safety - we have touched on this already, your attitude and desire to make a positive impact when it comes to the health and safety of our people is critical
- You will be hugely customer focussed. In this role you will have two key groups which are considered customers to keep happy, namely our branch leaders / managers and the people who buy products from us. We will be looking for you to talk us through examples of great things you have achieved in the customer space.
- Commercial savvy and confidence in running a good-sized budget and associated P&L
- A continuous improvement mindset and good examples of how you have been able to find and execute on improvement or efficiency opportunities in prior roles.
What's in it for you?
In return, we offer the opportunity to work with a well-known, leading brand, a supportive working environment with a great career development platform as well as a competitive salary package, plus we have an extensive range of benefits that come with being part of the wider Fletcher Building Group.
If you have the above skills and experience and are ready for a new challenge please apply today!
If you require further information, you can call Kirsty on 021 300 989 to discuss.
Please note – A pre-employment medical, including drug test is required.