PlaceMakers is a dynamic, interesting and fast paced environment to work in. We also happen to be one of New Zealand's leading and largest suppliers of building materials and a very successful business unit within the wider Fletcher Building Group.
Our National Estimating Unit provides residential and light commercial construction quoting and pricing services to our branches across the country. The National Estimating Unit has busy teams in both Hamilton and Christchurch and to support this growth we are looking to take on a Trainee Estimator in Hamilton.
This is a full time permanent position, Monday to Friday. You will start on $20 an hour as a trainee, however we have 3 monthly reviews with skills based pay increases, so if you are learning and performing well your pay will grow fairly quickly – it’s all up to you!
So what sort of person are we looking for?
- You’ll need to have had some work experience as this is not an opportunity for someone completely green with no idea as to what they want to do.
- You might be a builder already and you may have decided that you like the pricing side of things and feel a career in this discipline is up your alley.
- You may be an admin superstar with a flair for numbers, figures and Excel and keen on the idea of working in the building industry
- We aren’t going to explain what estimating is – you’ll need to do some research and learn more about quantity surveying and estimating to see if it’s for you.
- You will need to be someone who is naturally pretty good with numbers.
- This role will suit someone who is a bit of a perfectionist by nature and likes to get into the detail of things
- You’ll need to be a natural problem solver as a big part of this role involves working with information that is not necessarily complete. So you’ll need to have confidence to ask questions, and look for answers rather than just be a processing machine.
- You don’t need to be a guru at MS Excel, but you’ll need to know your way around a basic spreadsheet
- This is an office-based job so computing must be something you're attracted to.
It’s not often that opportunities like this come up where a business will train you into a specialised and skill short sector which will almost guarantee you satisfying work for your entire career. So we will be looking for someone hungry and driven, someone with an exceptional work ethic who appreciates that we will be investing in you. Your ability to listen, communicate well and work collaboratively with the team will of course be important. An inquiring mind and ability to feel confident to ask questions and look for solutions will be another key item we will be looking for.
Applications close Friday 28th Feb, but we will view them as we receive them. The first interview for this role will be done using video interview technology.
To apply please visit www.fbcareers.com and quote reference PMK / 15572
Please note – you must be in NZ and entitled to work to apply for this vacancy. A medical which includes a drug screen will be part of the recruitment process for this opportunity.
View other PlaceMakers jobs here or visit www.placemakers.co.nz/jobs